What’s New About How Today’s Top Leaders Influence Culture?
Fortune-500 consultant Brian Carter’s powerful and entertaining keynotes for executives and managers answer the big question:
“How are today’s leaders making a gigantic impact on their organizations, regardless of sweeping changes in global technology, economy and culture?”
The 5 Kinds of Leadership and Teamwork That Boost Employee Retention
Do your leaders protect their people while giving them the freedom and resources to thrive? Or do they let the you-know-what roll downhill, increasing frustration and turnover?
- Today’s best leaders are inclusive, transparent, and honest.
- They build rapport and trust.
- They look out for the people they lead and manage.
- They build productivity and organizational success by fostering clarity, optimism and meaning.
- They have the patience to explain not just what needs to be done, but also why.
Great leaders like that also foster productive teamwork. The best teams are collaborative, honest, and fun. The people on these teams know, like, and trust each other. And great leaders are living examples of the kind of character and collaboration they want to see on their teams.
In this insightful talk, Brian harnesses his 15 years researching and managing Millennials and Gen Z in the workplace to deliver a no-nonsense session that will equip your leaders and managers to get the most out of your today’s employees and teams. With concrete takeaways you can put into practice on Monday, this program shows you how your organization can boost retention and attract more great employees.
Modern, Research-Proven Leadership Skills that Can Attract People to Your Way of Thinking
The Harvard Business Review conducted a study of 51,000 leaders in terms of likability. They noticed that almost none of the unliked leaders in their study were able to be effective leaders. The upshot is that if we want to lead an organization, department or team successfully, we not only need people to trust us, but also to like us. And yet, only a few people are born naturally likable. For many of us, it’s a lifelong lesson in how to get along with people. How do you combine confidence with openness? Authority with sincerity? And how do we build bridges and good relationships with people who rub us the wrong way?
This customized hands-on leadership session is based on cutting-edge research and fascinating case studies from dozens of industries and even the FBI and CIA! You’ll learn the specific tools and tactics to increase your leadership influence and likability. In this motivational and entertaining keynote, some of the things you’ll learn include:
- What likable leadership looks like – and doesn’t.
- A quick and easy technique for getting anybody to like you, instantly!
- How likability works in attractive work cultures to create stronger teamwork.
- Sure-fire methods to increase likability within your work culture and increase everyone’s enjoyment and productivity.
- How to boost employee engagement with likable leadership to improve employee retention.
How to Lead All Five Generations in One Direction
In this entertaining, inclusive and research-based keynote for executives, managers and other team leaders, Gen X’er Brian Carter leverages 20 years of experience recruiting, managing, serving and partnering with all five of these generations- plus the latest stats and research to deliver a thought-provoking and practical talk that will take your leadership, teamwork and culture to the next level.
Brian’s unique perspective and tasteful, hilarious, original jokes dissolve tension and bring everyone together in this enlightening and practical program:
- Why labels are one of the biggest problems we have with ageism, and what the solution is.
- Today’s best leadership techniques for getting team members on the same page with values and goals.
- Workplace issues created by generation gaps and how to prevent them from the start.
- How to identify, prevent and overcome the 5 Top inter-generational communication obstacles.
- The leadership mindset that brings everyone together.
Digital Communication for Today’s Leaders
No matter how effective a leader you are, ineffectiveness with email, social media and other digital formats can undermine leadership success. One key to employee engagement is to make sure that your people know that distance and location have no bearing on how connected you are to their value. No matter how you’re communicating, you need to convey authority, immediacy and impact.
How much are you leading in person, compared to your email communication? Are you managing remote workers around the country, across the world or just people in other buildings? Or do you just worry that your virtual communications may diminish your overall impact and want to “up your game”?
In this insightful, entertaining and up-to-the-minute program, executives, managers and other leaders will learn:
- How to navigate the generational differences at play in business communication and leadership today.
- How to connect when you can’t meet face-to-face.
- The top tools and tactics leaders use for digital communication.
- How to combine your best leadership skills and deliver them in an online format.
- Virtual strategies for managing effectively through digital communication.
- How to implement a tech-empowered future that keeps employees excited and loyal.
- How to digitally transfer your culture, foster new ideas and help your team drive higher revenues and lower costs.
What’s Working in Leadership Today?
ADAPT: Things change. If we don’t change with them, we’ll be left behind. To lead, we have to be out front and that means being in front of all the changes happening in tech, the economy and culture.
LISTENING: We can listen to employees directly, we can survey and we can listen to all the data everyone is now collecting! Data insights have dramatically improved modern management capabilities.
TRUST: Without trust, you just don’t have a relationship. You and your communications must be trustworthy, or your leadership power is undermined.
LIKABILITY: Likability may be even more important than trust! When you’re likable, people listen to you and are more likely to favor your ideas. When you’re unlikable, they can’t wait to get away from you, and they say one thing to you and another thing behind your back.
TECHNOLOGY: Tech is changing what works in leadership. We have to stay current. If you aren’t on top of technology, you can look outdated. If your skills are outdated, if you’re out of touch, why should people listen to you?
10 Critical Leadership Stats
- 81% of employees reporting to recently trained managers said they were more engaged in their jobs (source).
- 83% of organizations say it is important to develop leaders at all levels (source).
- 71% of organizations do not feel their leaders are able to lead their organization into the future (source).
- 77% of organizations report they’re currently experiencing a leadership gap (source).
- 9% of employees said leadership is very committed to improving company culture and employee experience (source).
- 89% of executives surveyed believe strengthening organizational leadership is a top priority (source).
- 63% of Millennials said their leadership skills were not being fully developed (source).
- Disengaged employees cost U.S. companies up to $550 billion a year (source).
- Belief in senior leadership is the strongest engagement driver, with growth and development as the second (source).
- 68% of employees would consider leaving their job if they didn’t feel supported by more senior employees (source).
- More than 80% of employees would quit their jobs for better development opportunities (source).
Why Choose Keynote Speaker Brian Carter?
When you hire the right speaker, your audience leaves energized, entertained, educated and alive with possibilities.
Brian has worked with some of the most successful organizations in the world. He has more than 20 years (including recent, up-to-the-minute experience) recruiting, leading, managing and retaining people and has conducted programs for market-leading companies and organizations including Salesforce, GoToMeeting, Microsoft, NBC, Colliers International and JP Morgan. The Brian Carter group has conducted an intensive eight-year study of the most effective social media methods for attracting job candidates across 28 industries to learn what makes them successful.
Brian understands that you know more about your challenges, successes, and people than anyone else. He will work with you to customize the program(s) for maximum impact.
“I’m so glad you were our keynote. You were the perfect choice.”
“Brian has a masterful method of blending intel with practical, relevant business advice. He spoke to a diverse crowd ranging from Millennials to Baby Boomers. He left neither in the dark. Brian took the audience on a journey of discovery and enlightenment, while using stand-up style comedy in perfect alignment. Brian’s business stories were profound and his entertainment provided the opportunity to absorb the strategic points before moving on. Brian Carter could command an audience talking business OR making people laugh. Fortunately for us, he did both.”
“Brian not only knows his stuff… he’s also one of the funniest speakers I’ve ever seen.”
“Phenomenal speaker. Personable, informative and downright entertaining. I’d hire him back in a second.”
“Brian’s helped us shape and grow our organization. His creative thinking has helped keep us one step ahead of our competition, and his unique style of delivery was well received while educating our business owners during our annual franchise meeting. He is one of a kind!”